[See prices in other currencies]
St Wilfrid with St Mary RC Parish, Preston, Lancashire
The Jesuits served the Preston Mission from at least 1701 and possibly earlier from 1685, first in an older chapel, then in a newly built St Mary's, on Friargate, from 1761. Preston Catholics used this chapel for over thirty years. By the late 1780s, St Mary's had become too small for the congregation and was closed and used as a warehouse when St Wilfrid's Church was constructed off Fishergate, opening in 1793. Later in the nineteenth century St Wilfrid's was extended and substantially renovated both inside and out. This is the church we see today.
Supplied by: Catholic Family History SocietyFormat: DVDRef: CAT-D-011 Hide Details