The Roman Catholic Register of Wrightington Hall (later St Joseph's)
- Baptisms 1795-1879
- Confirmations 1813-1876
- Banns 1854-1889
- Marriages 1795-1852
- Deaths 1806-1879
- First Communicants 1851-1889
The Registers of Standish Hall (later St Marie's)
- Baptisms 1742-1885
- Marriages 1743-1839
- Burials 1770-1889
Wrightington and Standish are two Lancashire villages about 2 miles apart, in a county which was perhaps the centre of English Catholicism following the Reformation and in which Bishop Leyburn confirmed 8,900 Catholics in 1687. Originally farming communities, they became more industrial during the development of the Lancashire coalfield.
Wrightington Hall was the seat of the Dicconson family from the middle of the 17th century; it inherited the manor by marrying into the Wrightington family. Despite being predominantly Catholic the family managed to maintain its estates from the penal laws. As was often the case with Catholic gentry the hall chapel served the local Catholic community. The chapel continued in use until succeeded by St Joseph's in 1894.
In a similar fashion Standish Hall became a centre for its local Catholic community. The original hall was probably built in the late 16th century but was rebuilt with a larger chapel in the mid 18th century, which continued in public use until 1884. The mission was succeeded by the church of St Marie of the Annunciation.